39 replies to this topic

#1 snapplehooligan

snapplehooligan

High Commander of the Eastern Forces

• Support Team
  • 232 posts

• United States

Posted 12 July 2004 - 07:24 PM

:crazy: I have run out of ideas on this one... The situation is this: Booting into XP, before you get to the logon screen, the machine turns itself off. Starting in safe mode, it gets to Mup.sys then turns itself off. I have the hard drive partitioned: the problem is occuring on a 50 Gb NTFS WinXP Pro partition(C:) - I am currently working from the other, 10 Gb NTFS Win2k Pro partition(D:). I have access to all of the files on the broken partition(C:). The machine has 128 Mb rdram pc800. Intel Pentium 4 @ 1.3 Ghz. It's a Dell Dimension 8100. After googling the problem several times, I have tried the following suggestions that have all failed: +Updated my BIOS to the most resent version +Replaced the Mup.sys with a known-to-be-good uncorrupted copy +Swapped my memory sticks +Booted using the install disk and gone to the recovery console and entered "Disable Mup" also "Disable Mup.sys" - this generates an error about registry problems There seems to be a lot of talk about this, but none of the forums I have read offers a difinitive solution. I have not installed any new hardware recently. Any ideas would be very much appreciated... I have hit a wall, and I have work that I need to be doing :( Thanks in advance to anyone who tries to help!
Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life.

user posted image

#2 usr.c

usr.c

Boss, my code's compiling (xkcd)

• Admins
  • 10,440 posts
  • Interests:Software
    Soccer
    Photography
    RC cars
    Electronics

• Nothing Selected

Posted 12 July 2004 - 08:18 PM

Wow! http://www.annoyance...inxp/1087979980

One thing you might not have tried is disconnecting your USB devices and cards, restarting, and then reinstalling their drivers. That was what a few websites I looked through suggested.

Things that I don't suck at: Photography (flickr, JPG Mag), Skydiving, Splitting atoms, Flying a space shuttle
"Don't bail; the best gold is at the bottom of barrels of crap!" -Randy Pausch
I have people-skills goddamnit! What is wrong with you people!!! | www.skyrill.com

#3 snapplehooligan

snapplehooligan

• Support Team
  • 232 posts

• United States

Posted 12 July 2004 - 09:00 PM

Wow! http://www.annoyance...inxp/1087979980

Haha, yes that was the first site I came across and boy was I saddened to see how little success people were having with it. I updated my USB drivers to no avail...

+Booted using the install disk and gone to the recovery console and entered "Disable Mup" also "Disable Mup.sys" - this generates an error about registry problems

How might I go about fixing the registry on the other partition? Using the recovery console, scanregw /fix and scanreg /restore are unavailable.

It has also come to light that I don't have permissions to access quite a few of my directories on the other partition... so I couldn't just copy the data to this partition then do a clean install. (Clean installs have been reported not to work by a few people also :'( )

Thanks
Ryan

user posted image

#4 usr.c

usr.c

Boss, my code's compiling (xkcd)

• Admins
  • 10,440 posts
  • Interests:Software
    Soccer
    Photography
    RC cars
    Electronics

• Nothing Selected

Posted 12 July 2004 - 09:34 PM

hmm...The suggestions here cover lots of possible solutions ranging from the hard disk being the culprit to outdated motherboard drivers: http://bink.nu/Forum...spx?PostID=4056

What you can try to do to fix the registry is boot from the Windows XP startup disks (the 6 disk download from Microsoft) and go through the setup process. I can't remember, but I think it does a scan of both the file system and registry before setup.

Things that I don't suck at: Photography (flickr, JPG Mag), Skydiving, Splitting atoms, Flying a space shuttle
"Don't bail; the best gold is at the bottom of barrels of crap!" -Randy Pausch
I have people-skills goddamnit! What is wrong with you people!!! | www.skyrill.com

#5 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2004 - 06:53 PM

:( And if all else fails...get a copy of Spinrite6 from Gibson research.

#6 chcman

chcman

Elite II Member

• ++Member
  • 477 posts
  • Interests:Computers, sports etc.

• Canada

Posted 13 July 2004 - 07:11 PM

what the heck is that?

#7 snapplehooligan

snapplehooligan

• Support Team
  • 232 posts

• United States

Posted 14 July 2004 - 12:21 AM

QUOTE (Guest @ Jul 13 2004, 11:53 AM)

sad.gif And if all else fails...get a copy of Spinrite6 from Gibson research.

what the heck is that?

It looks to be some feature-rich data recovery software, it is priced a bit steeply for not having any documentation. :ph34r: I use GetDataBack for that purpose.

I have tried just about every suggestion I've read on every forum... short of purchasing new hardware. Right now I am copying all of the data to an extra hard drive that I attached.... the data that I have access to at least :lookaround: Hopefully I will be able to copy the protected files from the C: partition to the new G: drive if I log into C: using the recovery console... If that fails I will post back looking for other ideas for getting those protected files... Of course I have Admin privlages and passwords for each partition, but that doesn't seem to matter.

Thanks for posting that link Ali :thumbsup: , I remember distinctly not clicking it when I got it from google because of the .nu extension... how foolish of me! It looked like the most comprehensive list of attempted and failed solutions, sadly none of them worked in my case.

~Ryan :sonic: :throwpc:

user posted image

#8 Guest_Guest2_*

Guest_Guest2_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2004 - 04:23 PM

You get the same qulity results for half the price:
http://programmershe...sp?FileID=28658

#9 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2004 - 03:27 PM

Have had this problem never found a solution only resolution to it was re-installing XP over the top of itself.

#10 Guest_Ian Wrigley_*

Guest_Ian Wrigley_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2004 - 02:08 AM

Hi there. I am a PC Tech and have come accross this several times. The main cause of this, is BIOS level virus protection. Mostly Trend Chipguard. What this does, is prevent changes being made to the MBR (Master Boot Record) To stop this from happening, you will need to go into your BIOS and turn off bios protection. (Or simply restore defaults. This feature is NOT turned on by default, for a very good reason.) It can also be caused when upgrading if you have multiple UNC protocols installed, for example Client for Novell Networks. If this is the case, booting to the recovery console and typing disable MUP will work. If caused by bios virus guard however, this will do nothing. An update writes to the MBR saying do this before you next restart, but if this sector is protected, this can not happen - therefore, stall. Hope this helps :)

#11 Guest_Anon_*

Guest_Anon_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 October 2004 - 03:18 AM

I had this problem today when I installed SP2 for XP. Boot would lock up, safe mode indicated it was locking up at MUP.SYS. I updated the MB BIOS (Asus P42800 mobo) and it booted fine. Hope this helps.

#12 Guest_A Shohag_*

Guest_A Shohag_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2004 - 02:58 PM

You will not be able to post a reply to this message. For reference, here is the body of the message you tried to post: I had the same problem with a machine with a ECS K7S5A-Pro. The machine ran fine once built, but after a few months it would not load WinXP and would reboot everytime after loading mup.sys. Having gone through numerrous threads I undertood that this is a motherboard problem where it cannot access/read/boot from certain Hard drives. To fix the problem I booted from WinXP disk (you can use floppy or cd rom) then choose repair option. Then use the fixboot option to fix the bootstrap (the command is similar to fixboot cant remember exactly). You can see the right command by typing help in the repair console. Once I fixed the bootstrap, the problem was fixed.

#13 Guest_im_not_you_*

Guest_im_not_you_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2005 - 07:26 PM

I too have the deplorable mup.sys prob. my question is, how many of you are running scsi raid or serial ata equipment, this is when i started developing the problem

#14 Guest_im_not_you_*

Guest_im_not_you_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2005 - 10:27 PM

I make no guarantees. Do you have an on board device, and a pci device that do the same thing? eg; onbord lan, and pci ethernet card? try removing the pci, i got lucky and just switched pci slots, obviously , even though i had onboard disabled, it was causing conflict. Im not saying it is lan, but i am saying it is a conflict with devices. perhaps irq's? I just finished installing my 128 meg agp video card, a couple of blue screens and a safe start, and it seems to be okay. a good place to start looking for conflicts is in the registry, which is where i first started seeing the problem. everything seems solid now.

#15 Guest_VIA/ECS_*

Guest_VIA/ECS_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2005 - 05:57 PM

I make no guarantees. Do you have an on board device, and a pci device that do the same thing? eg; onbord lan, and pci ethernet card? try removing the pci, i got lucky and just switched pci slots, obviously , even though i had onboard disabled, it was causing conflict. Im not saying it is lan, but i am saying it is a conflict with devices. perhaps irq's? I just finished installing my 128 meg agp video card, a couple of blue screens and a safe start, and it seems to be okay. a good place to start looking for conflicts is in the registry, which is where i first started seeing the problem. everything seems solid now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am just curious to how many of you own AMD processors paired with either VIA or ECS boards. On top of that how many of you have SATA/RAID drives? A machine I built about 3 weeks ago for a friend mysteriously died the other day. It *supposedly* freezes at MUP.sys However upon further investigation that is not the case. SATA drives are fast....too fast for windows. As people shut them down PROPERLY windows is still trying to write the PageFile and flush it out, well it just takes one shutdown in the middle of flushing out the registry for it to ruin the registry and not allow system files to boot.

The only fix is to update your RAID/SATA drivers as well as flash your MB with an update.

Particularly this affects VIA KT600 with the NorthBridge/Southbridge chipsets.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users