Photo
- - - - -

Microsoft to release tiny XP service pack?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Paul

Paul

SuperNova III Member

• ++Member
  • 2,893 posts
  • Interests:Some Web designing, Amiga's, Like Point & Click Adventure RPG, Watching DVDs

• United Kingdom

Posted 17 August 2003 - 03:05 PM

Posted Image

THE RUMOUR IS that Microsoft has got into such a flap about the Blaster worm that it's readying a small service pack called SP1a for Windows XP, which might emerge within the next two weeks.

Except it can't be called SP1a as there is one of those already for the Java VM, so maybe it will be SP1X or something. "Tiny", as one of our readers points out, is relative in the case of "modern" operating systems from Microsoft.

According to those rumours, Microsoft wishes to downplay the massive MB accumulation of fixes and the like released during the last 10 months or so.

But some end users and channel players would like Microsoft to do something else, and supply them with a trade-in for their original XP install CDs. That would avoid similar problems happening if unlikely as it seems people have to re-install Windows XP from scratch or buy new accessories and the like.

Will Microsoft do this? It would be a logistics nightmare, we'd hazard to suggest.

Source: The inquirer
user posted image

#2 Paul

Paul

SuperNova III Member

• ++Member
  • 2,893 posts
  • Interests:Some Web designing, Amiga's, Like Point & Click Adventure RPG, Watching DVDs

• United Kingdom

Posted 17 August 2003 - 03:14 PM

Why don't they call it SP2? :rolleyes: And rename the delayed SP2 as SP3? This will stop the confusion and no one has to download all the SP1 fixes again. So what we end up with is: SP1, SP1a, SP1b but a and b no longer required as SUN Java no longer need to be included, the newer SP1a with bug fixes of SP1 and now another SP1a hahaha Have I got my facts 100%? I don't know anymore :confused: :crazy: :dunno:
user posted image

#3 usr.c

usr.c

Boss, my code's compiling (xkcd)

• Admins
  • 10,440 posts
  • Interests:Software
    Soccer
    Photography
    RC cars
    Electronics

• Nothing Selected

Posted 17 August 2003 - 07:24 PM

Why don't they call it SP2? 

And rename the delayed SP2 as SP3?

Probably because Longhorn is really SP3 :laugh:

Things that I don't suck at: Photography (flickr, JPG Mag), Skydiving, Splitting atoms, Flying a space shuttle
"Don't bail; the best gold is at the bottom of barrels of crap!" -Randy Pausch
I have people-skills goddamnit! What is wrong with you people!!! | www.skyrill.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users