• Interests:Software
    Soccer
    Photography
    RC cars
    Electronics

• Nothing Selected

Posted 13 August 2009 - 07:12 AM

My hard disk at work died.

Late last week, I tried to boot it and a message popped up just said that it couldn't find the hard disk and all attempts at resuscitating it proved futile. I ended up losing most (I'd kept backups of some at random points during the past two years) of my notes, bookmarks, pictures, bits of texts and quotes, papers a and articles that I'd been meaning to read, etc.

The strange thing is that after feeling bad about losing all of that data, I remembered something that amir had posted a while ago about his coworker finding an article that was oh-so great and then deciding not to save it because he knew that he would never get back to it. In a way, I felt like everything that I'd lost wasn't that big of a deal because the reality was that I didn't really remember what most of it was nor was I likely to ever find, let alone bring up, any of my hundreds of bookmarks.

So the moral of the story is to live life in as stateless a way as possible...and to take amir seriously because the guy knows a thing or two about life original.gif

Things that I don't suck at: Photography (flickr, JPG Mag), Skydiving, Splitting atoms, Flying a space shuttle
"Don't bail; the best gold is at the bottom of barrels of crap!" -Randy Pausch
I have people-skills goddamnit! What is wrong with you people!!! | www.skyrill.com

#2 bobhome

bobhome

The old timer

• ++Member
  • 2,740 posts
  • Interests:0

• United Kingdom

Posted 13 August 2009 - 04:47 PM

QUOTE(usr.c @ Aug 13 2009, 08:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My hard disk at work died.

Late last week, I tried to boot it and a message popped up just said that it couldn't find the hard disk and all attempts at resuscitating it proved futile. I ended up losing most (I'd kept backups of some at random points during the past two years) of my notes, bookmarks, pictures, bits of texts and quotes, papers a and articles that I'd been meaning to read, etc.

The strange thing is that after feeling bad about losing all of that data, I remembered something that amir had posted a while ago about his coworker finding an article that was oh-so great and then deciding not to save it because he knew that he would never get back to it. In a way, I felt like everything that I'd lost wasn't that big of a deal because the reality was that I didn't really remember what most of it was nor was I likely to ever find, let alone bring up, any of my hundreds of bookmarks.

So the moral of the story is to live life in as stateless a way as possible...and to take amir seriously because the guy knows a thing or two about life original.gif

Hi Ali,
I invested in the following click free backup, although I bought it in the UK, worth every penny. no more worries about hd crashing.
click free
REGARDS

Sys.info
Inspiron 530
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E8400 processor (3.00GHz, 1333MHz, 6MB cache)
Video Card
256MB ATI® Radeon™ HD 2400 XT graphics card
Memory
3072MB 800MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x1024 + 2x512]
built wireless and bluetooth

#3 amir

amir

SuperNova III Member

• Support Team
  • 2,141 posts
  • Interests:http://adagio.fm<br />http://entranced.fm/

• Canada

Posted 14 August 2009 - 08:12 PM

i'm afraid that i have to say that the very same co-worker has changed now completely to a person who writes down every single idea & bookmarks any article that may not even look worth reading at all since the day one of these innocent looking articles saved him his job. now he believes in taking the time to review the bookmarks periodically. he also quit drinking excessively!

no, seriously he hasn't changed yet but you were lucky this time! i'm working with some new people now who I think do believe deeply in bookmarking & backing up at regular basis! they even blog about their findings (& also backup their blog)! consider urself warned!

#4 usr.c

usr.c

Boss, my code's compiling (xkcd)

• Admins
  • 10,440 posts
  • Interests:Software
    Soccer
    Photography
    RC cars
    Electronics

• Nothing Selected

Posted 17 August 2009 - 09:07 PM

Thanks, Bob, for the link. My first issue right now is finding a way to power my HD so that I can run chkdsk on it from another PC in the hopes that some of its data may be recovered. I thought the power that it gets from the USB would be enough, but apparently it isn't. My Nokia charger outputs 5v / 870mA which is close enough to the HD's 5v / 850 mA rating, but I'm going to have to get a USB enclosure first to try that out.

no, seriously he hasn't changed yet but you were lucky this time! i'm working with some new people now who I think do believe deeply in bookmarking & backing up at regular basis! they even blog about their findings (& also backup their blog)! consider urself warned!

Losing data because of not regularly backing up is something that happens to me over and over and over again...and I never learn. That's the embarrassing part.

Things that I don't suck at: Photography (flickr, JPG Mag), Skydiving, Splitting atoms, Flying a space shuttle
"Don't bail; the best gold is at the bottom of barrels of crap!" -Randy Pausch
I have people-skills goddamnit! What is wrong with you people!!! | www.skyrill.com

#5 bobhome

bobhome

The old timer

• ++Member
  • 2,740 posts
  • Interests:0

• United Kingdom

Posted 18 August 2009 - 06:13 AM

QUOTE(usr.c @ Aug 17 2009, 10:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks, Bob, for the link. My first issue right now is finding a way to power my HD so that I can run chkdsk on it from another PC in the hopes that some of its data may be recovered. I thought the power that it gets from the USB would be enough, but apparently it isn't. My Nokia charger outputs 5v / 870mA which is close enough to the HD's 5v / 850 mA rating, but I'm going to have to get a USB enclosure first to try that out.

Hi Ali,
I got mine from ebay, only about £11 including external power supply unit and usb cable, Look Here

Edited by bobhome, 18 August 2009 - 06:14 AM.

REGARDS

Sys.info
Inspiron 530
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E8400 processor (3.00GHz, 1333MHz, 6MB cache)
Video Card
256MB ATI® Radeon™ HD 2400 XT graphics card
Memory
3072MB 800MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x1024 + 2x512]
built wireless and bluetooth

#6 mitrafox

mitrafox

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

• France

Posted 28 September 2009 - 01:13 PM

Dont worry as if the world's ending. Just relax and try to listen for further suggestions or options from this thread.

Regards,
mitrafox
Placement financier

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users