8 replies to this topic

#1 TecKchriS

TecKchriS

oxymoronman

• ++Member
  • 118 posts

• United States

Posted 10 February 2009 - 03:54 AM

Hey all, I have an odd request/question about how I should handle my website.

As of now my website is heavily Javascript base, but it also has a lot of backup of <no script>s just in case people don't have java enabled.

So what I want to do is instead of all the messy and redundant code, simply have two folders on my hosting site, one that is my website with java the other without.

The URL would look like www.christophergriffith.net/java/index.php and www.christophergriffith.net/nojava/index.php

But I don't want the people to see the /java/ or /nojava/ just always simply www.christophergriffith.net/index.php and also so when they type that in they are redirected to the right place.

I can do the redirects no problem, it's shortening the URL that's got me, I really haven't seen or heard of a clean way to shorten the URL for the java or nojava sub directories.

Anybody know of a relatively easy way to do this? It doesn't have to be simple enough for a baby to do it, I just don't want it to be more garbled than just having all the redundant code as like now. Basically I want the site to be cleaner and more efficient. (and if you have any other suggestions for it I am up for those as well biggrin.gif )

#2 amir

amir

SuperNova III Member

• Support Team
  • 2,141 posts
  • Interests:http://adagio.fm<br />http://entranced.fm/

• Canada

Posted 11 February 2009 - 03:22 AM

i strongly believe that people who run without js are already extinct. with the huge (i mean huge) use of js in today's web, you can't step further than home page of google without losing half (if not all) of the content. so what's that source of paranoia? (joking)

#3 TecKchriS

TecKchriS

oxymoronman

• ++Member
  • 118 posts

• United States

Posted 11 February 2009 - 04:07 AM

Very true, but for the 10 people that don't have script enabled, my luck would be that one would be a prospective employer, inside a company firewall that has tighter security settings, lol. (With my career choices I would probably have to enter into a job that does have tighter security, even if it's almost antiquated to disable those settings)

I guess its for multiple reasons, from a personal challenge, quest for knowledge, and in case I need to use it in some other situations than simply for javascript. That and the fact I want to show that I can make a good websites, without a bar saying 'please enable javascript', especially if that is a field I need to go into at some point (I already do some freelancing).

So it's not extremely important that this gets done, just would be nice if anyone had an idea how too.

#4 amir

amir

SuperNova III Member

• Support Team
  • 2,141 posts
  • Interests:http://adagio.fm<br />http://entranced.fm/

• Canada

Posted 15 February 2009 - 04:19 AM

have you already checked URL re-writing?

#5 firedrop84

firedrop84

• Members
  • Pip
  • 144 posts

• Australia

Posted 15 February 2009 - 08:07 AM

have you considered using Smarty. This might help to resolve your issue.

#6 TecKchriS

TecKchriS

oxymoronman

• ++Member
  • 118 posts

• United States

Posted 16 February 2009 - 01:49 AM

Update: Thanks for the suggestions, right now I am trying to use the rewritemod and other htaccess ways of doing what I want. But when I am able to do this I will receive a 500 (internal) error if I just type in my url without the /index.php so I am looking into that.

Smarty looks cool and may implement later or in a different scenario, but right now I think I want just a light and optimized personal site. Thanks for that, I haven't heard of it before biggrin.gif

#7 firedrop84

firedrop84

• Members
  • Pip
  • 144 posts

• Australia

Posted 16 February 2009 - 04:24 PM

yep.

Smarty it's really good as it makes your life easier once you know quite well.

at start it's really annoying and you will hate your life but you will get over it original.gif.

#8 endurne09

endurne09

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Coffee and conversation

• Nothing Selected

Posted 26 November 2009 - 04:15 PM

Due to a multi-domain issue that exists in cpanel I am now looking for a reliable hshpere host.

Looking for a shared hosting provider at this time.

Any suggestions?

#9 sdss

sdss

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

• United States

Posted 08 February 2010 - 09:41 AM

thanks for that!! it helps me a lot,, resell rights

Edited by sdss, 08 February 2010 - 10:06 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users