External Hard drive

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 glitch

glitch

Elite III Member

• ++Member
  • 536 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy stuff, not the magazine, as well as various activities including the art of "dossing" "lazing" and general "assing".

• United Kingdom

Posted 22 December 2008 - 08:00 PM

I'm not exactly if this is a hardware problem or OS related, simply because I'm using Vista so I wouldn't completely rule it out. I'm trying to move a 7.94 Gig file from my Vista laptop to my external hard drive which has 170 GB free but when I try to move the file it tells me that the file is too large for the destination file system. What's doing this? Is there a limit on my hard drive for the size of one file or is it some sort of Vista thing?

-

#2 bobhome

bobhome

The old timer

• ++Member
  • 2,740 posts
  • Interests:0

• United Kingdom

Posted 23 December 2008 - 07:39 AM

QUOTE(glitch @ Dec 22 2008, 08:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm not exactly if this is a hardware problem or OS related, simply because I'm using Vista so I wouldn't completely rule it out. I'm trying to move a 7.94 Gig file from my Vista laptop to my external hard drive which has 170 GB free but when I try to move the file it tells me that the file is too large for the destination file system. What's doing this? Is there a limit on my hard drive for the size of one file or is it some sort of Vista thing?

Hi,
It is probably that they are FAT volumes. You need to split the file into smaller parts. I think the max file size for FAT drives is 4.00 GB. You might be able to reformat your external hard drive using NTFS. Try right clicking on it in Computer, then click Format... and choose NTFS in the dropdown menu under File System. Note that this will erase all data on the drive.
To split the file, you could use HJSplit From Here.

Edited by bobhome, 23 December 2008 - 07:40 AM.

REGARDS

Sys.info
Inspiron 530
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E8400 processor (3.00GHz, 1333MHz, 6MB cache)
Video Card
256MB ATI® Radeon™ HD 2400 XT graphics card
Memory
3072MB 800MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x1024 + 2x512]
built wireless and bluetooth

#3 MaD_cOw

MaD_cOw

No way... It compiles? SHIP IT!

• Moderators
  • 609 posts
  • Interests:Drumming,<br />Music,<br />Mountain Biking,<br />Modding,<br />Vintage Hardware,

• Canada

Posted 24 December 2008 - 01:22 AM

QUOTE(bobhome @ Dec 23 2008, 02:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi,
It is probably that they are FAT volumes. You need to split the file into smaller parts. I think the max file size for FAT drives is 4.00 GB. You might be able to reformat your external hard drive using NTFS. Try right clicking on it in Computer, then click Format... and choose NTFS in the dropdown menu under File System. Note that this will erase all data on the drive.
To split the file, you could use HJSplit From Here.

You probably mean FAT32 since FAT can't partition drives over 2GB

If you need to split the file you can use this:
http://www.freebyte.com/hjsplit/

Free and fast

Edited by MaD_cOw, 24 December 2008 - 01:23 AM.

-Mad_cow

#4 bobhome

bobhome

The old timer

• ++Member
  • 2,740 posts

• United Kingdom

Posted 24 December 2008 - 07:52 AM

QUOTE(MaD_cOw @ Dec 24 2008, 01:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You probably mean FAT32 since FAT can't partition drives over 2GB
If you need to split the file you can use this:
http://www.freebyte.com/hjsplit/

Free and fast

Hi
OK so I never put the 32 on, I was only giving the basic reasons, the link you have given is exactly the one I have given. rofl.gif rofl.gif rofl.gif
REGARDS

Sys.info
Inspiron 530
Video Card
Memory

#5 glitch

glitch

Elite III Member

• ++Member
  • 536 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy stuff, not the magazine, as well as various activities including the art of &quot;dossing&quot; &quot;lazing&quot; and general &quot;assing&quot;.

• United Kingdom

Posted 24 December 2008 - 03:37 PM

Will the splitting the file damage it any way? Also, how would I go about using the (video) file after i've split it? Could I be able to watch it in spearate parts or would I need to put it back together again?

-

#6 bobhome

bobhome

The old timer

• ++Member
  • 2,740 posts

• United Kingdom

Posted 24 December 2008 - 06:12 PM

QUOTE(glitch @ Dec 24 2008, 03:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Will the splitting the file damage it any way? Also, how would I go about using the (video) file after i've split it? Could I be able to watch it in spearate parts or would I need to put it back together again?

Hi,
I have never used it but my grandson has, the software joins it back together (perfectly he Says)

Click for screenshot

REGARDS

Sys.info
Inspiron 530
Video Card
Memory

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users