• 10,440 posts
  • Interests:Software
    Soccer
    Photography
    RC cars
    Electronics

• Nothing Selected

Posted 08 April 2008 - 12:40 PM

I can't remember when it was that I last posted something here, well, actually I can; it was December 2007, but after reading a bizarre article this morning I couldn't help but share it. I was reading slashdot as I do every morning when I came across a /film article about a German guy called Uwe Boll who had announced that he'd stop making movies if one million people asked him to.

Naturally, I asked myself: who on earth is Uwe Boll? It turns out he's the director responsible for game-to-movie adaptations such as House of the Dead, Alone in the Dark, BloodRayne and a few others, which according to the IMDB are among the less than successful movies the worldwide film industry has produced. But I've not seen them, so I won't judge the guy, and besides that's not the reason for making this post.

The reason for this post, and the reason why I've shoved all the critical tasks I'm supposed to be working on this morning off my desk with an elegant left arm motion, at the great risk of losing my job and possibly causing our 3-year old project to fail miserably, thus resulting in lost dreams and broken homes is this:

Have you ever heard of a film director being so pissed off at his critics that he'd masterfully arrange for a "PR event" in the form of a boxing match, invite journalists from all over to attend, get a website to sponsor it, tell the five unsuspecting critics that it was all just for fun, and then kick the living crap out of them!

Don't know about you, but it's a first for me. Just looking at the pictures makes me laugh like there's no tomorrow. The image of a 40-some year old German guy really going for it against a few skinny geeks is just insane. One blacked out during his match, another couldn't stop vomiting. Ears were being bitten off. It was crazy.

The after-match images are even more insane. Oh, and what kind words did the "raging boll" have for the poor journalist who asked how one of the victims was doing? Why of course, he said: "The funeral is tomorrow. We are all very sad."

Add to that his correspondences with Wired's reviewers, a short bit of which is shown below, and you've got yourself one absolutely bizarre story.

your review shows me only that you dont understand anything about movies and that you are a untalented wanna bee filmmaker with no balls and no understanding what POSTAL is. you dont see courage because you are nothing. and no go to your mum and **** ...because she cooks for you now since 30 years ..so she deserves it....POSTAL is R RATED . The MPAA understood the satire -- you not -- you dumb ****

Oh, and in case you're wondering, close to 94,000 people have signed the petition so far. A new petition has since been created to "save" Mr. Boll, whatever that means.

View: slashdot page, /film article, Wired August 2007 article and images of the "Raging Boll" fight.

Things that I don't suck at: Photography (flickr, JPG Mag), Skydiving, Splitting atoms, Flying a space shuttle
"Don't bail; the best gold is at the bottom of barrels of crap!" -Randy Pausch
I have people-skills goddamnit! What is wrong with you people!!! | www.skyrill.com

#2 amir

amir

SuperNova III Member

• Support Team
  • 2,141 posts
  • Interests:http://adagio.fm<br />http://entranced.fm/

• Canada

Posted 09 April 2008 - 07:39 PM

that's what critics deserve, man.
by the way, I'm sure your boss can understand your situation. (& then it's ur turn to understand the situation u put him in!)

#3 glitch

glitch

Elite III Member

• ++Member
  • 536 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy stuff, not the magazine, as well as various activities including the art of &quot;dossing&quot; &quot;lazing&quot; and general &quot;assing&quot;.

• United Kingdom

Posted 05 May 2008 - 08:24 PM

Mr. Boll is hated amongst the hardcore gaming community namely for being obnoxious, arrogant and wrecking great games, which I don't understand because what he's made so far haven't been amazing games to begin with. I think he's pretty funny.

-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users