5 replies to this topic

#1 Mario

Mario

Verto Venatus Deus!

• Moderators
  • 913 posts

• United States

Posted 25 January 2008 - 06:13 AM

Okay, so I've kinda gotten a list together of programs from me and a few of my hard core mac friends that every mac user needs. Some are freeware, some are buy-ware. Take with it what you need..

Shareware Proggies:

CleanApp - Why do I need an uninstaller in Mac OS X? Programs in Mac OS X are creating lots of files and folders during their installation (like user preferences, temporary files, log-files, ). If you are going to delete a program from within the Finder, all these data will remain on your hard drive, and wastes precious space. So far, CleanApp has found associated files and folders by an identifier-key, and offered them for deletion.

CandyBar - This program is your customization program. It will change the look of your dock, your system icons, program icons, whatever it is you want customized. Download icon sets and set them with easy to your icons.

Toast - This program is probably the best Burning Software for mac (yes better than the built in one). It will do music disks, data disks, dvd's, video dvd's, even BluRay DVD's (useful for backups, the 25gb disk is kinda nice). If you have image files from windows and need to burn it, or "toast" files this is your program of choice on OS X. [this program is comparable to Nero for Windows..]

Mac Pilot - ADVANCED USERS ONLY This program is your "trick mac" into doing things it shouldn't.

Visage - A small program that lets you customize your login screen background, text, icon etc.

Freeware Proggies:

Split & Concat - In Internet newsgroups large files often are split into smaller parts since messages can not be of more than a certain size to be able to post them in newsgroups. For that reason you can find often binary files that are split in parts like filename.mp3.001, filename.mp3.002, filename.mp3.003 etcetera. This program will then combine split files, or split large files for you!

MacHacha - This is another program for split files. However this is made to mirror windows programs like HJSplit which take movie files and split them into parts.001 etc. This will combine or split those video files for you.

Wallsaver - Will make your desktop display whatever your screensaver is set for (ie: if you have a screensaver that shows your picture folder in a collage format, this will make your desktop background be that!)

SuperTux - Video game based on Mario, but with a Penguin. Enough Said!

MacTheRipper - This program is basically a dvd video backup program. It will take your dvd and compress it to a video folder. You can then use this program or Toast to burn it to a disk with data compression so you don't ruin your original.

Alarm Clock - This program is a simple computer alarm, that will either trigger ITunes or just an extra wake up alarm. You can use your Mac Book's controller to even hit snooze.

Firefox - The best web browser ever. Yes we all know that Safari is built in and has a bit of mac-only plugins (like your docks and auto install for programs) but, it's Mozilla Firefox. enough said.

Yahoo - Yes theirs a yahoo messenger for mac

MSN - Again, an msn messenger for mac

Flip4Mac - This is basically a tool for WMV files to play on your mac. With every Video codec you get, always make sure their compatable with your type of mac.

Windows Media Player - Unfortunetly a dog-eat-dog world, they have a port of WMP to mac, cuz all those dumb video files posted online won't play without it...

I'm Back!

Certifications: MCSA, MCSE & A+
General Information Technology & Support.
Ex-Owner & Operator of Hackers(dot)Com
Owner & Operator of Ace Technologies & Securities Inc. (currently spending a year dead for tax purposes)
Proficient with Multiple Forum Communities in providing layman Tech Support & Solution Solving.

Next Scheduled Attending Event: SpoCon Spokane, WA

#2 usr.c

usr.c

Boss, my code's compiling (xkcd)

• Admins
  • 10,440 posts
  • Interests:Software
    Soccer
    Photography
    RC cars
    Electronics

• Nothing Selected

Posted 25 January 2008 - 12:52 PM

Thanks Mario. I've had my eyes set on a PC that I'm thinking of buying next week, but still haven't ruled out Macs.

Things that I don't suck at: Photography (flickr, JPG Mag), Skydiving, Splitting atoms, Flying a space shuttle
"Don't bail; the best gold is at the bottom of barrels of crap!" -Randy Pausch
I have people-skills goddamnit! What is wrong with you people!!! | www.skyrill.com

#3 MaD_cOw

MaD_cOw

No way... It compiles? SHIP IT!

• Moderators
  • 609 posts
  • Interests:Drumming,<br />Music,<br />Mountain Biking,<br />Modding,<br />Vintage Hardware,

• Canada

Posted 26 January 2008 - 05:48 AM

If its a laptop I would buy a mac, those damn sexy and they run windows if all else fails wink.gif

Toast is just an amazing program, I have Titanium 8 and wow does what about 4 programs on Windows do.
-Mad_cow

#4 Mario

Mario

Verto Venatus Deus!

• Moderators
  • 913 posts

• United States

Posted 27 January 2008 - 03:10 AM

if you get a mac, as long as it has leopard you can run boot camp which if you absolutely want to run a few windows programs its a charm. I have a laptop and it has xp on it so i can play EQ2 ...

the newer macs too are pretty pimp. plus design programs run nicely on macs more so than windows based programs.

this list is small but their mostly utiltiy based programs that tons of mac users use. if you take a look at apple's downloads theirs tons of sweeet programs for mac, like Final Cut (rocks by the way).
I'm Back!

Certifications: MCSA, MCSE & A+
General Information Technology & Support.
Ex-Owner & Operator of Hackers(dot)Com
Owner & Operator of Ace Technologies & Securities Inc. (currently spending a year dead for tax purposes)
Proficient with Multiple Forum Communities in providing layman Tech Support & Solution Solving.

Next Scheduled Attending Event: SpoCon Spokane, WA

#5 usr.c

usr.c

• Admins
  • 10,440 posts
    Soccer
    Photography
    RC cars
    Electronics

• Nothing Selected

Posted 26 March 2008 - 09:39 PM

Here are three more (yeah, I decided to go for a Mac after all, thanks Mario!)

MacFUSE, NTFS-3G: Allows you to write to an NTFS-partitioned hard disk.

FileZilla: Free FTP client.

Vim for Mac: Great text editor.

Things that I don't suck at: Photography (flickr, JPG Mag), Skydiving, Splitting atoms, Flying a space shuttle
I have people-skills goddamnit! What is wrong with you people!!! | www.skyrill.com

#6 usr.c

usr.c

• Admins
  • 10,440 posts
    Soccer
    Photography
    RC cars
    Electronics

• Nothing Selected

Posted 14 April 2008 - 03:27 PM

Switch: Convert between lots of audio formats

iSquint: Converts lots of video formats to mpeg-4

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users