• 10,440 posts
  • Interests:Software
    Soccer
    Photography
    RC cars
    Electronics

• Nothing Selected

Posted 26 October 2007 - 09:50 AM

I made this a few weeks ago for some amateur competition. What do you guys think? Unlike what one of the papers wrote, it's not about a man expressing himself by writing letters. There's an attempt at a clever story in it; honest. original.gif

amir and a few other people have given their feedback on it (thanks!), but I thought it would be nice to see what every one else thought.

Things that I don't suck at: Photography (flickr, JPG Mag), Skydiving, Splitting atoms, Flying a space shuttle
"Don't bail; the best gold is at the bottom of barrels of crap!" -Randy Pausch
I have people-skills goddamnit! What is wrong with you people!!! | www.skyrill.com

#2 glitch

glitch

Elite III Member

• ++Member
  • 536 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy stuff, not the magazine, as well as various activities including the art of "dossing" "lazing" and general "assing".

• United Kingdom

Posted 26 October 2007 - 03:22 PM

Nice video, congratulations as making it as a finalist. I had to watch the video twice as I was only half watching it the first time.

-

#3 amir

amir

SuperNova III Member

• Support Team
  • 2,141 posts
  • Interests:http://adagio.fm<br />http://entranced.fm/

• Canada

Posted 28 October 2007 - 12:17 AM

Caution: those who do not participate or say anything other than praise, will lose their account or will be banned from the web site for a period determined later by a private board of counsels.

#4 usr.c

usr.c

Boss, my code's compiling (xkcd)

• Admins
  • 10,440 posts
    Soccer
    Photography
    RC cars
    Electronics

• Nothing Selected

Posted 28 October 2007 - 04:39 AM

Additionally, the amount of praise will be calculated for each post based on the following formula, the result of which may be exchanged for cash.

(conveyed sincerity + amount of ego-stroking * (1 / post #))

cs and aes may be negative values and such you may actually have to pay us money if your post is sub par!

Things that I don't suck at: Photography (flickr, JPG Mag), Skydiving, Splitting atoms, Flying a space shuttle
I have people-skills goddamnit! What is wrong with you people!!! | www.skyrill.com

#5 Never That

Never That

Legendary

• ++Member
  • 601 posts

• United States

Posted 28 October 2007 - 10:33 PM

************** SPOILERS BELOW***************
I liked it a lot had to watch it twice it some how skipped a min the first time.
Also i was the first to rate it on you tube i gave it a 5!
I just don't understand why he wrote himself a letter and then mailed it to japan.
please explain.

Edited by Never That, 28 October 2007 - 10:42 PM.

There is no God, no universe, no human race, no earthly life, no heaven,
no hell. It is all a dream, a grotesque and foolish dream. Nothing exists
but you. And you are but a thought a vagrant thought, a useless thought,
a homeless thought,wandering forlorn among the empty eternities!

Mark Twain

#6 Never That

Never That

Legendary

• ++Member
  • 601 posts

• United States

Posted 28 October 2007 - 10:41 PM

Oh i just read your comments on the info box now.
this just screwed my mind up thanks.
could you still explain it to me?

so he is the owner of this multi million dollar business,
yet he his writing to an potential client whom is himself or someone with the same name.
That person is an entrepreneur, is it him writing to himself about his new business or what i am lost!

Or is he just insane?
There is no God, no universe, no human race, no earthly life, no heaven,
no hell. It is all a dream, a grotesque and foolish dream. Nothing exists
but you. And you are but a thought a vagrant thought, a useless thought,
a homeless thought,wandering forlorn among the empty eternities!

Mark Twain

#7 usr.c

usr.c

Boss, my code's compiling (xkcd)

• Admins
  • 10,440 posts
    Soccer
    Photography
    RC cars
    Electronics

• Nothing Selected

Posted 29 October 2007 - 11:40 AM

Thanks. It's based on something I wrote a while ago that's summarized below. I think the best part of the story is the details, so maybe one day I'll go ahead and post the whole thing. Any other comments or criticisms either here or on the youtube page would be great.

Born and raised in Kyiv, Adam Reyl* starts doing business from a young age. He's a natural entrepreneur. In a few short years, he quickly moves up the ladder by making deals with big clients and keeping his existing ones happy. His business empire brings in billions of dollars every year. He has it all, and so do all of his shareholders.

But it turns out his name isn't Adam Reyl, nor does he live in Kyiv, nor is he a billionaire. He was born in Japan with a terrible skin deformity that prevents him from going out during the daytime. He lives in an orphanage. A few weeks ago, he was taken by his caretakers to Hong Kong to see a doctor who thought he might be able to help, but to no avail.

To compensate for not being able to achieve his ambitions and dreams, he has created a universe within his mind, consequently convincing the latter that it is in fact reality. He lies to himself and to the reader/viewer, but his surroundings give him away. He writes letters to himself pretending that they're to potential clients to keep his pretend universe alive.

* I messed up the last name in the movie; should have been Reyl so when you reverse it it spells Lyer, which in any case is misspelled so so much for that ;p

#8 Tyreal

Tyreal

• Moderators
  • 134 posts

• Canada

Posted 30 October 2007 - 03:54 AM

hihi.gif genius.... sweet bigsmile.gif

Edited by Tyreal, 30 October 2007 - 03:55 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users