• 10,440 posts
  • Interests:Software
    Soccer
    Photography
    RC cars
    Electronics

• Nothing Selected

Posted 13 July 2007 - 09:34 PM

Here's part of the interview that the guys at Gamasutra did with the Senior VP of marketing for Sony's PlayStation, in which he says that he doesn't think the XBox 360 is a product that can sustain itself for 10 years and that HD DVD will be dead within months:

"I don’t want to be argumentative, but I take issue with Microsoft either having a long tail, or being profitable, because they’ve never done either. They’ve never made a dime in this business, number one, and number two, they’ve never had a tail. They’ve never been successful enough to have a tail! So the notion of a back half of the curve doesn’t exist for them. They stopped the Xbox and I kind of feel for the guy that bought an Xbox the month before they said ‘we’re out of business, we’re moving on.’

The reason I get a little emotional about that is it’s in stark contrast to our approach. If we’ve got something that says PlayStation, we’re going to stand behind it for 10 years, and deliver games like God of War II in the 7th year of the cycle.

With the Xbox 360 you’ve got an inconsistent design, some have a hard drive, some don’t, and none of them have Blu-Ray, and the HD-DVD will be out of business in a matter of months. Is this a 10 year product? And by the way, it doesn’t even work. Do they want to be selling it for 10 years and refurbishing them all for 10 more years? I don’t think that’s a 10 year product. You could disagree with me, or they could disagree with me, but I’d put that up against the PS3 any day."

Read the whole thing here.

Things that I don't suck at: Photography (flickr, JPG Mag), Skydiving, Splitting atoms, Flying a space shuttle
"Don't bail; the best gold is at the bottom of barrels of crap!" -Randy Pausch
I have people-skills goddamnit! What is wrong with you people!!! | www.skyrill.com

#2 Renzoblade

Renzoblade

Heavenly Sword

• ++Member
  • 757 posts

• Australia

Posted 25 July 2007 - 08:58 AM

i agree with most of that, ps2 looks like it will outlive the xbox360, the ps2 is outselling everything even after years, its just a matter of price, no one in their right mind will buy a wii if the ps3 was the wiis price. Xbox360 is nice but i doubt it will outlive the ps3,or the ps2 for that matter.

The gaming world will most likely fold this like in the future.

ps3 vs xbox360

Since hardware is so close,it will be all about the games

Gran turismo vs forza
Killzone vs Halo

All great games in all respects, the wii cannot compete, ill give it 2-3 years before it sees a similar fate to gamecube. Wii will miss out on MOST major cross platform games,Grand theft auto etc. And will hurt it in its mid lifecycle.

People atm in this early stage of next gen buy the consoles on price, wii is the cheapest so why not get it?, i was about to buy one myself but i cant stand the childish colourfull games. Thats Nintendos best weapon,its price,and legacy.

To further consolidate my notion of "price sells", and the fact sales have nothing to do with the console itself.

PS3 Price Cut Sees 135% Sales Boost
http://www.gamasutra...php?story=14801

Sony says total PlayStation hardware sales (including the PlayStation 2 and PSP) have increased by 161 percent, with peripheral sales up by 60 percent and software sales by 15 percent.

When ps3 and xbox360 near wii price.

RIP

Edited by Renzoblade, 25 July 2007 - 09:02 AM.

#3 glitch

glitch

Elite III Member

• ++Member
  • 536 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy stuff, not the magazine, as well as various activities including the art of "dossing" "lazing" and general "assing".

• United Kingdom

Posted 30 July 2007 - 03:07 PM

Ah Renzo. I can always count on you to totally dismiss Nintendo in their most highest-selling, most-profit-making, revolutionary years on the back of coming last place twice. The simple fact is that Nintendo have brought out a new console that costs less significantly less than the "competition" with a completely innovative control scheme.

I may quote 1up a lot, but I'm going to do it a again;
QUOTE("1up")
Sure, the Wii has seen months go up and down, but the difference is clear. There are plenty of PS3s and Xbox 360s on shelves -- there are no Wiis. Most at 1UP have not actually seen a Wii in the wild and Nintendo has announced they don't expect that to change -- ever, apparently -- in 2007. A purposeful shortage? Probably. Wii's made of old hardware and they've known how popular the machine is for some time. At this point, there's no excuses; Nintendo is doing this out of own self interest. Can you blame them? Right now, no one can tell them what to do; what they're doing keeps working.

The numbers don't show any reason to expect a change in 2007. In fact, with Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3: Corruption and Super Smash Bros. Brawl coming in 2007, Nintendo will start roping in the on-the-fence Nintendo fans who didn't buy into the whole Wii thing at first. Combine that with the release Wii Fit, destined to be the darling of the mainstream media for the next year, and no one else has a chance. Xbox 360 and PS3 have great lineups for holiday 2007, but there's no stopping Wii.

http://www.1up.com/d...ory?cId=3161611

I think part of the PS3 sales boost is due to the fact that this isn't technically a real price drop, but a stock clearance. They plan releasing a higher priced PS3, which coincidentally lacks the emotion engine (which allows for a more complete backward compatibility for PS2 games) and gamers want to get it while they can.

The Wii has already "won" this console war. Not solely due to the price point but because of its ability to attract new and former gamers. Being honest, I'm not too fond of the Wii, I'd happily stick with my GameCube, but I admire its position to be completely unique, to be completely "mainstream" and innovative.

Edited by glitch, 30 July 2007 - 03:09 PM.

-

#4 Renzoblade

Renzoblade

Heavenly Sword

• ++Member
  • 757 posts

• Australia

Posted 17 August 2007 - 04:37 AM

comparing the wii and the ps3 is like comparing a cheap motorbike and an expensive Italian supercar

ofcource the wii will sell more at the start of the life cycle

And the true sales for the ps3 is 6mill +

im around 80% sure that 2008 + the wii will be out of the picture, it will not and cannot keep up as technology Dependant games start appearing.

#5 glitch

glitch

Elite III Member

• ++Member
  • 536 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy stuff, not the magazine, as well as various activities including the art of "dossing" "lazing" and general "assing".

• United Kingdom

Posted 21 August 2007 - 10:25 PM

I can't believe you think the PS3 will outsell the Wii. The sheer price of the PS3 is enough to scare anyone but the most loyal Sony fan away. Never mind that Nintendo has some of the best first party games in the business, but the Wii (and to a similar extent the DS) has the ability to attract people who could otherwise care less about video games. It's low price point combined with motion sensors make for a deadly combination.

Let me explain my confidence in sustainable Wii sales with this; If PS3 outsells Wii, in terms console sales during their lifetime, I will buy and eat a hat.

-

#6 Renzoblade

Renzoblade

Heavenly Sword

• ++Member
  • 757 posts

• Australia

Posted 23 August 2007 - 11:21 AM

^ Lol deal

But man, once Gran turismo 5 and all these Other sony games come out, What do you think the casual gamer will buy?, a Nintendo Wii with mario and zelda, or a Ps3, some Blu Ray Movies,Grand theft auto,Metal Gear 4,Gran turismo 5 and maybe a ps2 game,since their so cheap and the quality is still there,ahm God Of war 2, and what happens when God Of War 3 comes out on ps3, not to mention Killzone 2 and Square Enix Final Fantasy games which base themselfs on technology. This turns into..

a ps3 sales onslaught, like many people have stated, Console wars has just begun, i Cant see the wii sustaining any support from 3rd party developers and hardcore gamers once ps3 and xbox360 prices fall close to the wii's. And once video game technology becomes so Vital, the wii will miss out on almost all major released games , its the gamecube all over again.

Last gen was different, ps2 was made to battle the Dreamcast, It didnt even have to battle,the psone knocked the Dreamcast out as it did the nintendo 64, ps2,gamecube and xbox when it comes to technological sides, are not different to a degree the ps3 and wii are compared, as i stated before, modern pcs cant even emulate the ps2 yet.

BUT, with the ps2 still outselling everything, to what, 118+ million console sales, trillions of games, developers release games like this.

ps3,xbox360,wii,pc,ps2

now this is my theory, since developers will still support the invincible ps2,those toned down ports will find their way to the wii, and thats the only source the wii will have for cross platform games.

IMO.

Edited by Renzoblade, 23 August 2007 - 11:22 AM.

#7 Kaiba

Kaiba

Football Know - It - All

• Members
  • Pip
  • 159 posts

• United Kingdom

Posted 25 August 2007 - 04:16 PM

Wii is selling like hotcakes and I am not so impressed with sony exclusive offerings, their lair, Warhawk and even heavenly swords have got poor to mediocre scores. Considering that and how Bioshock is gettin 9 / 10 from pretty much everyone means its a long time before anyone can even guess which console is going to be king.

//Xbox Live Gamertag: Micha3lCorleone//

#8 Renzoblade

Renzoblade

Heavenly Sword

• ++Member
  • 757 posts

• Australia

Posted 27 August 2007 - 09:03 AM

every magazine i read has a minimum score of 9/10 for heavenly swords

And ofcource the wii will sell the most in the early days, what sells more, a family sedan or an Exotic Sports Car, and once the prices get close, what would u buy if both were the same price?

Just a matter of time original.gif

#9 amir

amir

SuperNova III Member

• Support Team
  • 2,141 posts
  • Interests:http://adagio.fm<br />http://entranced.fm/

• Canada

Posted 31 August 2007 - 07:16 PM

guys, i've missed the news about xBox. did M$ stop xBox production line?

#10 glitch

glitch

Elite III Member

• ++Member
  • 536 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy stuff, not the magazine, as well as various activities including the art of &quot;dossing&quot; &quot;lazing&quot; and general &quot;assing&quot;.

• United Kingdom

Posted 03 September 2007 - 01:05 PM

The first Xbox? Yeah, I think so.

-

#11 timadamer

timadamer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

• Austria

Posted 17 January 2010 - 06:18 AM

QUOTE(Renzoblade @ Aug 17 2007, 04:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
comparing the wii and the ps3 is like comparing a cheap motorbike and an expensive Italian supercar

ofcource the wii will sell more at the start of the life cycle

And the true sales for the ps3 is 6mill +

im around 80% sure that 2008 + the wii will be out of the picture, it will not and cannot keep up as technology Dependant games start appearing.

" comparing a cheap motorbike and an expensive Italian supercar ofcource the wii will sell more at the start of the life cycle "

Ha ha ha. This just made my day :-)

-----------------------
Fat Loss 4 Idiots

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users