Trying to delete a registry entry

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 glitch

glitch

Elite III Member

• ++Member
  • 536 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy stuff, not the magazine, as well as various activities including the art of "dossing" "lazing" and general "assing".

• United Kingdom

Posted 25 April 2007 - 05:40 PM

I bought and installed Halo for PC. However when I try and run the program it tells me that the registry key is invalid.

I've located the problem on Microsoft's support page here: http://support.micro...-...&sid=global

When I try and delete this entry it tells me I can't. Is there a way I can go around it and actually get rid of it. I've tried creating another profile but that doesn't seem to work.

-

#2 usr.c

usr.c

Boss, my code's compiling (xkcd)

• Admins
  • 10,440 posts
  • Interests:Software
    Soccer
    Photography
    RC cars
    Electronics

• Nothing Selected

Posted 25 April 2007 - 06:28 PM

You're logged in as an admin on that machine, right?

Things that I don't suck at: Photography (flickr, JPG Mag), Skydiving, Splitting atoms, Flying a space shuttle
"Don't bail; the best gold is at the bottom of barrels of crap!" -Randy Pausch
I have people-skills goddamnit! What is wrong with you people!!! | www.skyrill.com

#3 glitch

glitch

Elite III Member

• ++Member
  • 536 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy stuff, not the magazine, as well as various activities including the art of "dossing" "lazing" and general "assing".

• United Kingdom

Posted 25 April 2007 - 07:14 PM

Yes.

Specifically the message that comes up says "Unable to delete all specified values".

-

#4 usr.c

usr.c

Boss, my code's compiling (xkcd)

• Admins
  • 10,440 posts
  • Interests:Software
    Soccer
    Photography
    RC cars
    Electronics

• Nothing Selected

Posted 27 April 2007 - 09:24 PM

hmm...Well just to make sure, right click on that key, choose Permissions, and confirm that your account has full control. With it still highlighted, click on Advanced and tick the "Replace Permissions on all child..." entry.

If that fails, try editing your registry in safe mode, which I'm guessing you've already done. Another thing you might want to try is to just delete the binary values instead of the key?

Things that I don't suck at: Photography (flickr, JPG Mag), Skydiving, Splitting atoms, Flying a space shuttle
"Don't bail; the best gold is at the bottom of barrels of crap!" -Randy Pausch
I have people-skills goddamnit! What is wrong with you people!!! | www.skyrill.com

#5 Mario

Mario

Verto Venatus Deus!

• Moderators
  • 913 posts

• United States

Posted 28 April 2007 - 08:59 PM

what i would do is use registrar lite, its similar to regedit, but when i get little no-delete-me's or it wont save a modification etc, i'll use it and it tends to work..

Download Registrar Lite from here:
http://www.resplende...oad/reglite.exe

.. it's odd that your not able to delete the string.. perhaps you have some sort of malware thats disabling you from doing it? hmm..

anywho, that should work for you..
I'm Back!

Certifications: MCSA, MCSE & A+
General Information Technology & Support.
Ex-Owner & Operator of Hackers(dot)Com
Owner & Operator of Ace Technologies & Securities Inc. (currently spending a year dead for tax purposes)
Proficient with Multiple Forum Communities in providing layman Tech Support & Solution Solving.

Next Scheduled Attending Event: SpoCon Spokane, WA

#6 glitch

glitch

Elite III Member

• ++Member
  • 536 posts

• United Kingdom

Posted 30 April 2007 - 01:25 PM

I've tried everything mentioned so far, but none of it seems to work, even Registrar Registry Manager. The binary data for it is just "0 0 0 0". When I export it and edit it in notepad that certain registry doesn't seem to show up:
reg.JPG

-

#7 bobhome

bobhome

The old timer

• ++Member
  • 2,740 posts
  • Interests:0

• United Kingdom

Posted 30 April 2007 - 02:36 PM

QUOTE(glitch @ Apr 30 2007, 02:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've tried everything mentioned so far, but none of it seems to work, even Registrar Registry Manager. The binary data for it is just "0 0 0 0". When I export it and edit it in notepad that certain registry doesn't seem to show up:
reg.JPG

Hi,
Have you tried, start / search / files and folders / type in Halo, then remove everything it finds, then reinstall the software???
REGARDS

Sys.info
Inspiron 530
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E8400 processor (3.00GHz, 1333MHz, 6MB cache)
Video Card
256MB ATI® Radeon™ HD 2400 XT graphics card
Memory
3072MB 800MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x1024 + 2x512]
built wireless and bluetooth

#8 glitch

glitch

Elite III Member

• ++Member
  • 536 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy stuff, not the magazine, as well as various activities including the art of &quot;dossing&quot; &quot;lazing&quot; and general &quot;assing&quot;.

• United Kingdom

Posted 15 May 2007 - 02:16 PM

I have uninstalled the game multiple times, even deleting the folder from program files manually.
I've pretty much given up on playing Halo on my PC now, I installed it on my brothers laptop and it seems to run fine, well, without a mouse atleast.

Thanks for the help anyway.

-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users