• 10,440 posts
  • Interests:Software
    Soccer
    Photography
    RC cars
    Electronics

• Nothing Selected

Posted 18 April 2007 - 11:42 AM

From IT Week: "The majority of UK office workers will hand over their computer passwords in exchange for "a bar of chocolate and a smile", according to a new study from the organisers of the annual Infosec show.

The survey of 300 office workers and IT professionals was carried out at London stations and an IT trade show and found that 64 percent of the 300 people approached could be tricked into handing over their password in return for a flirtatious conversation and a free bar of chocolate.

The researchers used social engineering techniques to gain the information, initially asking the delegates if they knew what the most common password was and asking them what their password was. At this stage 40 percent of commuters and 22 percent of IT professionals told the interviewer their password.

If respondents initially refused to hand over their password the researcher then asked if it was based on the name of a child, pet or football team and began guessing possible passwords. At this point a further 42 percent of IT professionals and 22 percent of commuters divulged their password."

View: Full article (IT Week)

Things that I don't suck at: Photography (flickr, JPG Mag), Skydiving, Splitting atoms, Flying a space shuttle
"Don't bail; the best gold is at the bottom of barrels of crap!" -Randy Pausch
I have people-skills goddamnit! What is wrong with you people!!! | www.skyrill.com

#2 Tyreal

Tyreal

• Moderators
  • 134 posts

• Canada

Posted 19 April 2007 - 01:20 AM

LOL,

Looks like if 42% are able to give up their password that easily, that must mean they don't have anything of real importance to them on their PC. The other 22% on the otherhand, probably need to keep their information or programs intact. Next thing they're gunna ask for are their PIN numbers hahahaha. laugh.gif

Edited by Tyreal, 19 April 2007 - 01:21 AM.

#3 usr.c

usr.c

Boss, my code's compiling (xkcd)

• Admins
  • 10,440 posts
  • Interests:Software
    Soccer
    Photography
    RC cars
    Electronics

• Nothing Selected

Posted 19 April 2007 - 05:00 AM

Someone should do a study to find out the number of people who have their pin numbers written down on a piece of paper in their wallet!

How's this for social engineering:

Excuse me, Sir, I'm going to show you an amazing trick! I bet you I can guess what your PIN number is. All I need you to do is write it down on this piece of paper and place it on the pavement, but whatever you do, don't let me see it. Ok, now I'll need you to take out your wallet and slowly place it on the pavement too. Finally, I need you to close your eyes and count to 10...

Things that I don't suck at: Photography (flickr, JPG Mag), Skydiving, Splitting atoms, Flying a space shuttle
"Don't bail; the best gold is at the bottom of barrels of crap!" -Randy Pausch
I have people-skills goddamnit! What is wrong with you people!!! | www.skyrill.com

#4 Goodpeople

Goodpeople

Wats wrong wit sayin hoe?

• ++Member
  • 611 posts
  • Interests:I like to play football, video games, and i love chicken and red kooool-aid!

• United States

Posted 03 May 2007 - 02:03 PM

i keep all my passwords on a notebook or sometimes on email... smh...
Yo...This right herrr is goodpeople
and Im here to teach you bout some people.
Down
in T-town is where I stay
N*
dont get it twisted, I
get my paper herrr every DAY!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users