#1 amir

amir

SuperNova III Member

• Support Team
  • 2,141 posts
  • Interests:http://adagio.fm<br />http://entranced.fm/

• Canada

Posted 20 October 2005 - 05:33 PM

Many times, folks are experiencing problems that appear to be video, software, or memory related when in reality they are caused by an underpowered power supply unit (PSU). To see if your psu is up to the challenge, use this Power Supply Calculator Here. You will have to know what components are in your computer. Just fill in the blanks and the calculator will do the rest.
HINT: It's been my experience that most retail systems such as Dell, Gateway, HP, etc. have the bare minimum requirement (or slightly above) what the systems needs. Put a couple of extra drives in there (hard drives or CD burners) and you've pretty much loaded the system to capacity power-wise.

Rule of thumb -- try to get a psu that delivers at least 100 to 150 more watts than what you currently need so you have some stretching room for those upgrades.
Rule of the other thumb -- don't get cheap. The psu is just as vital as your CPU and memory. Stay away from generic brands and go with the tried and true such as Antec, Enermax, Thermaltake, X-Connect, etc.

Courtesy of AmazingTechs

#2 usr.c

usr.c

Boss, my code's compiling (xkcd)

• Admins
  • 10,440 posts
  • Interests:Software
    Soccer
    Photography
    RC cars
    Electronics

• Nothing Selected

Posted 20 October 2005 - 07:33 PM

Good tip. The table that j-rah posted here is also useful

Things that I don't suck at: Photography (flickr, JPG Mag), Skydiving, Splitting atoms, Flying a space shuttle
"Don't bail; the best gold is at the bottom of barrels of crap!" -Randy Pausch
I have people-skills goddamnit! What is wrong with you people!!! | www.skyrill.com

#3 j-rah

j-rah

SuperNova II Member

• Moderators
  • 1,197 posts

• Nothing Selected

Posted 20 October 2005 - 09:38 PM

wow amir that is a lot better than the one I posted. tounge.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users