Photo
- - - - -

Google voice engineer reveals all (must-read)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 usr.c

usr.c

Boss, my code's compiling (xkcd)

• Admins
  • 10,440 posts
  • Interests:Software
    Soccer
    Photography
    RC cars
    Electronics

• Nothing Selected

Posted 12 November 2007 - 08:39 AM

You won't want to miss this. Google has a useful directory service called GOOG-411, which unless you live in the U.S. you've probably never heard of, but that's ok. As it turns out, one of the highlights of the service is the strange sound it makes while it's searching. Now, and for the first time ever, brace yourselves everyone, Bill Byrne, the engineer behind the sound, who I'm sure is a great guy, spills the beans and reveals all!

"We call it the ‘biddy-biddy-boop’ sound", says Byrne.

Why thank you very much, Bill. That's good to know.

“The system working sound is a particularly difficult sound to do. You have to have just the right tone, the right mood, the right signal. It can’t be busy or too monotonous...It has to be a quick noise to evoke efficiency. It can’t be too uniform, like a ticking clock.”

Again, good to know.

So why the sarcasm you ask? Well, here I am, at work, questionable as it is browsing Slashdot and CNN.com and wondering two things: What if my boss came into our office and for whatever reason decided that Slashdot was the devil and that I was fired*? Wouldn't it suck to get fired because of a story about a stupid sound that had to be painstakingly invented and then UAT'd? And secondly, half the world is up in flames on the other side of my screen and here I am reading about and, alas, writing about a friggin' sound in a directory service that I've never used!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...wait there's more...aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!

More here, here and here.

*: Thankfully, my boss is a very cool guy

Things that I don't suck at: Photography (flickr, JPG Mag), Skydiving, Splitting atoms, Flying a space shuttle
"Don't bail; the best gold is at the bottom of barrels of crap!" -Randy Pausch
I have people-skills goddamnit! What is wrong with you people!!! | www.skyrill.com

#2 revisited

revisited

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

• Nothing Selected

Posted 17 November 2007 - 01:00 AM

i'm ur future employer and I'm here to let u know, u r fired! don't forget to send me ur updated resume though original.gif

#3 usr.c

usr.c

Boss, my code's compiling (xkcd)

• Admins
  • 10,440 posts
  • Interests:Software
    Soccer
    Photography
    RC cars
    Electronics

• Nothing Selected

Posted 17 November 2007 - 07:54 AM

You can't fire me if you've not yet hired me, so there tounge.gif

Things that I don't suck at: Photography (flickr, JPG Mag), Skydiving, Splitting atoms, Flying a space shuttle
"Don't bail; the best gold is at the bottom of barrels of crap!" -Randy Pausch
I have people-skills goddamnit! What is wrong with you people!!! | www.skyrill.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users