#31 Muffin

Muffin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

• Australia

Posted 13 February 2006 - 03:50 AM

I posted this to another forum yesterday:

From what I have seen, this problem is almost always hardware>>XP SP2 related. For some it is something as simple as an IDE cable or dodgy USB device, card, or memory... but for others it is painfully frustrating.

We live in the unfortunate situation where Motherboard manufacturers can sell "XP compliant" motherboards, complete with a nice logo from Micro$oft... but bios updates are not kept up to date with processors that are "suitable" for that board/XP.... you can flash your bios but still no go.

After swapping memory, hard drives, graphics cards with the system stripped to bare bones, my XP SP2 installation still halted on the black XP screen during the 1st install reboot.

I used Bart PE to boot and used the file manager to turn on the /sos switch in boot.ini and could see that it was halting at.... mup.sys. I took the common advice of renaming/replacing this file, but no joy. After a *lot* of searching (five days), I finally found there *is* a critical update from Micro$oft for those with this problem.

The problem is described as: "systems running a BIOS without production support for Intel Pentium 4 and Intel Celeron D processors based on Prescott C-0 stepping can potentially hang on Windows XP Service Pack 2 installation."

I couldn't boot as I was halfway through a full install, so here is what I did. Again using Bart.PE - I renamed:

c\windows\system32\drivers\update.sys

*That* is the offending file, not mup.sys which is simply the last loaded driver.

After that I was able to complete installation, then install the critical update - you can find it here:

Critical Update for Windows XP (KB885626)

Its essential that you install this update *if this is your problem* - if you can boot into safe mode at least and there is a bios update for you, then try that first.

Thats it! original.gif

HTH

Matti Ressler
osCommerce Senior Team Member

#32 amir

amir

SuperNova III Member

• Support Team
  • 2,141 posts
  • Interests:http://adagio.fm<br />http://entranced.fm/

• Canada

Posted 13 February 2006 - 03:39 PM

Here's KB885626 one of the articles Matti talked about &
Here's the other one.
Thanx man.

#33 chinnie

chinnie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

• Nothing Selected

Posted 29 March 2006 - 12:11 PM

QUOTE(indo @ Jul 22 2005, 01:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
AMD +2600, Asus A7N8X-X (VIA 400), NVidia Geforce MX 420, with some Cheap High Latency Ram.

5. Came to this forum, read the suggestion about the Boot Virus Detection and mup.sys. So I disabled the Boot Virus Detection in the BIOS, restarted and got the blue screen again. I then went to the recovery console and disabled mup.sys which was listed as BOOT. Restarted, and presto... straight to Windows.

How exactly do you do this? I can't find that option anywhere in the BIOS. I did a chkdsk in the recovery console and it says it found errors but how does it fix them? I'm using the commands listed here: http://support.micro...om/?kbid=314058 but my machine keeps restarting. If you can be more specific about how you finally loaded Windows, it would be awesome. I really need to recover some files and then I'll reinstall from scratch. Thanks in advance.

HP 7000 series, Windows XP (no sp2)
128 RAM, Pentium III
Bios: Phoenix
No recently installed hardware/software
Problem appeared after a power failure

#34 amir

amir

SuperNova III Member

• Support Team
  • 2,141 posts

• Canada

Posted 29 March 2006 - 03:27 PM

QUOTE(chinnie @ Mar 29 2006, 12:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How exactly do you do this? I can't find that option anywhere in the BIOS. I did a chkdsk in the recovery console and it says it found errors but how does it fix them? I'm using the commands listed here: http://support.micro...om/?kbid=314058 but my machine keeps restarting. If you can be more specific about how you finally loaded Windows, it would be awesome. I really need to recover some files and then I'll reinstall from scratch. Thanks in advance.

HP 7000 series, Windows XP (no sp2)
128 RAM, Pentium III
Bios: Phoenix
No recently installed hardware/software
Problem appeared after a power failure

Have a look at this to make sure u r using command Disable correctly & if u are already, why don't u try the last solution by Muffin? It sounds more reasonable.

#35 latt

latt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

• Nothing Selected

Posted 30 May 2006 - 08:07 PM

lol this is halirious,
I have seen this problem before on PC's that I have worked on.

The first was a gateway that i actually removed SP2 off of because it disabled their cd-rw for some weird reason (windows for you). then i seen it when a client shut down their computer on a HP update (stalled on mup.sys)belive that i removed SP2 from that machine and it worked. now i am actually stuck. i have tried doing some of the bios stuff that i have read only to avail to nothing, also ran dskchk and fixmboot all that stuff.

I just recently installed a new USB 2.0 device on his computer and it has been working fine but then he calls me and says he ran come reg fix thing and had to chut down his computer right? Okay, sure he was probably a sucker for falling for that. anyways instead spending all this time troubleshooting i just decided to do a reinstall of windows. after the first setup it started the windows start up screen and then it wen in to disk check and said that one of the boot records was irreplacable (or destroyed). moving along here.....

So now im in the Windows XP set up screed with the bullets on the right side in right smack dab in the middle of it i get the blue screen of death. and says something that has to do with win2k.sys and that its something like a card or device. here it just poped up again here it is:

if this is the first time you have seen this stop error screen,restart your computer . If the screen appears again follow these step:

check to make sure and new hardware or software is properly installed if this is a new installation ask you hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.If problem continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options (did that) such as caching
damn it it want away anyways could use some help

also one more thing my mother board has a problem after it restarts it ways detecting IDE Driv es...and stay there . i know that it is an athlon processor, not sure about the mobo though it ws a ddr 400 chipset

#36 sangovese

sangovese

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

• United States

Posted 21 March 2007 - 03:27 PM

Ok I have done everyting Muffin and Amir have suggested and still I can not get my system to boot past Mup.sys. Any other suggestions?

#37 amir

amir

SuperNova III Member

• Support Team
  • 2,141 posts

• Canada

Posted 21 March 2007 - 04:24 PM

Format and install a SP1 XP or XP without SP. Install the Critical Update for Windows XP (KB885626 the first link), and then install Windows XP SP2.

what do u think u did to cause this? upgraded to SP2?

#38 sangovese

sangovese

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

• United States

Posted 26 March 2007 - 06:36 PM

Well after a week of trying, calling in two favors from IT friends, the only solution that worked was to install a new harddrive and do a complete XP install on the new HD. My copy of XP installed SP2. I installed the fix first thing and the system is working fine now. It actually boots faster than before now.
Talking to my IT friends both of them have expiernced the MUP.sys failure before and neither of them have been able to find a solution, the fixes Amir and Muffin mentioned did not work for them either.

#39 simonmcc

simonmcc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

• United Kingdom

Posted 19 June 2007 - 10:56 PM

QUOTE(cshockey @ May 6 2005, 10:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a fix for the problem:
<snip>
Thanks again.
Chris.

Chris,

Thanks! I spent about an hour trying stuff, then I tried a fixboot, chkdisk, rebooted and it all worked

You saved me a lot of time / hassle!

Regards

Simon

#40 b0ing

b0ing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

• Australia

Posted 19 September 2009 - 08:51 AM

I understand this is an old topic, however none of what I've read helped me and this is also the first hit in Google.

I performed an Acronis Universal Restore from one machine to another, and upon booting, the new PC would reboot just before the Loading Windows XP screen and also when trying to boot into Safemode at mup.sys.

I was close to giving up, when I noticed that some sort of SiS driver was trying to load just before mup.sys when attempting safe mode.
So I put the drive into another machine, which it booted correctly into windows, then performed the following.

1) Open a command prompt from within Windows and type "SET DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=1".
2) Then type devmgmt.msc to start up Device Manager.
3) Once in Device Manager, go to the View menu and choose Show Hidden Devices.

I then went through all the lists and uninstalled anything to do with SiS, along with any old drivers I thought were no longer applicable.

Please note removing the wrong thing could mess your system up even more so only experienced users should attempt this.

I hope this helps.

Matt

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users