9 replies to this topic

#1 jerblaster23

jerblaster23

• Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts

• United States

Posted 05 November 2003 - 04:41 AM

I am having problems with windows task scheduler, I set up some batch files to automate some tasks for myself, they work great I got the code all figured out and everything. The only problem is that windows task scheduler isn't working properley. I know it's not my file and is my computer because I tried schedualing the exact same batch file on my labtop and it worked fine. So my copy of windows task scheduler must be having problems. I know it's not just some little setting I forgot to do because I've been working on this problem for a wile know. I have tried several 3rd party task schedulers and it's prety confusing, I don't really like them. Windows does a better job if I could just get it to work. I searched microsoft's website for a download thought I could just get a fresh copy. But no luck. Is there anyway to re-install the utility? I know it comes with explorer when you download it but I already have the latest version of internet explorer. Should I re-install internet explorer? Thanks for your help I realy apericiate it, you guys are the greatest. -Jeremiah Mondello www.HydrogenPower.tk

#2 bobhome

bobhome

The old timer

• ++Member
  • 2,740 posts
  • Interests:0

• United Kingdom

Posted 05 November 2003 - 06:29 AM

Hi
Control Panel->Performance And Maintenance->Schedule Tasks->on the Advanced menu,
OR it may be Control Panel>>admin tools>>services
click either Start Using Task Scheduler or Continue Task Scheduler, if either command is available. If one of these commands is available, the Task Scheduler was either stopped or paused.
Also, in the Scheduled Tasks window, each maintenance task that you've scheduled should have an icon in the Scheduled Tasks list. If you don't see an icon for a task, double-click Add Scheduled Task and reschedule the task.

Make sure your user account is password protected. Scheduled tasks will not run under an account that is not password protected.

Hope this helps

PS. READ.... THIS

If after all this, it is still not working properly, you could try to repair missing files in XP by... Start>> Run>> in the box type sfc /scannow ( note the space between sfc & /) you may need your xp disk

Edited by bobhome, 05 November 2003 - 07:23 AM.

REGARDS
bobname.gif

#3 jerblaster23

jerblaster23

• Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts

• United States

Posted 05 November 2003 - 05:11 PM

well I have already done all that including reading the article, I found it on google yesterday. I have even goten the sceduler to work. But it doesn't work for all my batch files. For some it runs then and says it has completed. The .exe I am trying to exicute through my batch file even shows up in the windows task manager ctr+alt+del under aplications. but no window, and I don't see the progam acutally functioning. I will try the repair, the thing is that I tried it on my brothers labtop doing exactley the same thing. a exact copy of the batch file, same progam everything the same. and it worked wonderfully. also if I just open the batch file my self it works. so I know it's not my file, and I know it's not a setting because I did the exact thing on another computer. I am almost certain it needs repaired. It had some strange error to I don't remember but it's definatley the progam. I will try your repair later, I think I'm later for school. thanks I will post my relults from the rapair later, there is no way to just completley re-install? or that's basicley what the repair is. well I'll give it a try thanks.

#4 jerblaster23

jerblaster23

• Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts

• United States

Posted 06 November 2003 - 12:40 AM

I am know getting this message when I go to creat a new task: "New Task has been created, but may not run because the account information could not be set. The specific error is: 0X80041310: Unable to establish existence of account specified." any ideas?

#5 wizard james

wizard james

Dark Wizard

• ++Member
  • 865 posts
  • Location:i live in calagay alberta canada. if u live in calgary like me...tell me plz...it would be cool to know someone on the net that

• Canada

Posted 06 November 2003 - 03:27 AM

Start/run eventvwr.msc and check the application logs for clues. Most likely there is something (program/prcess) running (or that fails to terminate properly) that is interfering with the process. -from google serchs

Edited by wizard james, 06 November 2003 - 03:32 AM.

user posted image

#6 bobhome

bobhome

The old timer

• ++Member
  • 2,740 posts

• United Kingdom

Posted 06 November 2003 - 06:29 AM

Hi

SYMPTOMS
In the Scheduled Tasks tool, if you run a task, and you had previously changed your account name, the task may not run. Also, when you create a task, you may receive the following error message:

Task Scheduler

An error has occurred while attempting to set task account information.

0x80041310: Unable to establish existence of the account specified.
Ensure the account name specified is valid.
RESOLUTION
To work around this problem, use either of the following workarounds:
Rename the user account back to the original user name by using the User Accounts tool in Control Panel.
Delete the user account from the User Accounts tool in Control Panel, and then create a new user account with the appropriate user name.

From Here MSoft

Edited by bobhome, 06 November 2003 - 06:41 AM.

REGARDS
bobname.gif

#7 jerblaster23

jerblaster23

• Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts

• United States

Posted 06 November 2003 - 08:50 AM

well I did manage to get the error message to go away but still can't get it to run a batch file. My searches finally found a good alternative though. TechScheduler it works great a lot like the windows scheduler and I it runs all my batch files perfectley. I will just abandon my windows scheduler since I can't get it to work anyway. Thanks for your help though I really appreciate it.

#8 bobhome

bobhome

The old timer

• ++Member
  • 2,740 posts

• United Kingdom

Posted 06 November 2003 - 09:10 AM

Hi
I did not look for third party stuff, I thought you did not want to use it, anyway, glad you have managed to solve your problem...
Posted Image

REGARDS
bobname.gif

#9 jimojim15

jimojim15

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

• Nothing Selected

Posted 11 January 2010 - 05:19 AM

Thatís a great point to bring up. There are certainly a lot of details like that to take into consideration. I offer the thoughts above as general inspiration but clearly there are questions like the one you bring up where the most important thing will be working in honest good faith. I donít know if best practices have emerged around things like that, but I am sure that your job is clearly identified as a fair game if you are commenting as an individual.

#10 timadamer

timadamer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

• Austria

Posted 25 January 2010 - 11:01 PM

I am afraid if your computer might be virus infected. Bob said the instruction for creating a scheduled task but if the problem still persists than I suggest use a anti-virus immediately and check if it detects any virus. If still not, then try re-installing your OS. I know it will eat your time, but I do not find see any other way out.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users